Why You Should Use a Philips Sonicare Toothbrush
With all of the marketing ploys out there it’s easy to think that electric toothbrushes are complete scams, but that’s not the case.
Electric toothbrushes are quite beneficial if you use them correctly. Philips makes one of the best models on the market – the Philips Sonicare Toothbrush.
Traditional brushes can be hard on your teeth because it’s tempting to think you need to apply a lot of pressure when brushing. While you can fall into the same trap with electric brushes, it’s much easier to let them “do their thing.”
Here are some of the top reasons we recommend using a Philips Sonicare toothbrush:
1. Better cleaning. This is obviously the biggest draw for people who decide to purchase a Philips Sonicare brush. The Philips Sonicare toothbrush cleans using two different methods (mechanical scrubbing and fluid dynamics – more on these later).
2. High vibrational speed. The Philips Sonicare brush contains the word “sonic” because it vibrates at a speed that lies within the range of frequencies that humans can hear. The vibrations enhance the brush’s effectiveness. If you use the brush on full-power, it will produce 31,000 brush strokes per minute. That’s a lot of brushing for a minimal amount of movement on your part!
3. Mechanical scrubbing and fluid dynamics. Mechanical scrubbing is the same thing that traditional toothbrushes do – it’s the brush’s ability to remove dental plaque by scouring the surface of your teeth. What makes the Philips Sonicare model more effective is the amplitude of the brush head. Philips makes their brushes to be efficient tooth scrubbers.
In addition to mechanical scrubbing, the Philips model uses fluid dynamics. As the secondary cleaning action, fluid dynamics is the process where the intense vibrations of the bristles agitate the water and saliva around your teeth. When this happens, the vibrations get so intense that they get rid of the dental plaque more effectively than the bristles alone.
4. Non-contact brushing. Because fluid dynamics produce strong forces, they can dislodge the microorganisms out of their colonies and from tooth surfaces. Conventional brushing doesn’t dislodge microorganisms in this way, which means picking up a Philips Sonicare toothbrush is really something to consider.
5. Smaller brush heads. It’s a misnomer that the bigger the toothbrush the better the cleaning. In fact, smaller brush heads are often more effective cleaners because they fit so snuggly in your mouth. Traditional brushes with large heads can scratch your gums or sting your tongue, whereas the Sonicare doesn’t.
6. Long battery life. Some people hesitate to pick up an electric toothbrush because they don’t want to deal with changing batteries all the time. The first Philips Sonicare brushes were introduced to the market in 1992, which means they’ve come a long way since then. The Philips Sonicare is built to last a long time, so it takes a while before you have to recharge it. Once the battery does run low, simply place it on the charger and keep it there for up to 24 hours. After that, you should be good for about a week before you need to charge it again.
If you have more questions about the benefits of using a Philips Sonicare toothbrush, or you’re due for a routine dental cleaning, speak to the team at Joyner Dental Arts. We’re located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and we’re happily accepting new patients. We specialize in family dentistry, smile makeovers, and personalized dental care. Call today to book your appointment.